This fun three-day workshop is intended for those interested in an alternative approach to traditional photography and become a good visual storyteller, regardless of your own unique style. It is designed to help you develop a personal eye, and to leave you feeling inspired.
The primary goal of this creative workshop is to free your imagination and discover a new way of seeing. The emphasis is on utilising light, tonality, colour and form through demonstration, assignments, reviews and group discussions. Throughout the course, participants will work towards creating a body of work that tells a compelling visual story through narrative, emotion, style and substance.
Join us at Awhitu Peninsula, a hidden gem full of history, character and natural beauty, and watch your photography grow!
Key learning points:
- Examine the emotional impact of photographs.
- Train your eye to look for and to understand light.
- Release your inner artist.
- Develop a greater visual awareness.
- Find your own visual vocabulary.
- Explore the process of shooting your photos that connect and tell a story.
- Develop your narrative instincts
Who Should Attend
This workshop is appropriate for photographers who are interested in learning how to ‘see’ creative photographic possibilities within their own environment and how to turn them into powerful visual stories.
What You Should Know
Students are expected to be proficient in the use of their particular cameras and computers.
What to Bring
- A digital camera with manual exposure controls & lenses.
- A laptop, your card reader and image-editing program.
- Memory cards.
- LOTS OF HARD DRIVE SPACE.
- A sense of humour!
NZ$500We require a deposit of $100 to secure your place. The balance will be due 30 days prior to commencement of the workshop. If you would prefer to book and pay for your workshop using bank transfer, please email email@example.com for more information.
This workshop is certain to sell out quickly, so book now to avoid disappointment.
Each day there will be instructional digital lectures, group and individual exercises, a field trip with the instructors, and evaluation of your work.
Creative Joy Studio, 266 Pollok Wharf Road, Pollok, Waiuku, Auckland, New Zealand
Participants should make their own accommodation bookings. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need some assistence.
An informal optional dinner will be held the evening before the workshop starts.
- Personal advice from the experts. Eva Polak and Aliah Jan will be available during the workshop to review your own earlier work in private sessions.
- Private access to Manukau Heads Lighthouse for sunset photoshoot.
- A packet of semi-gloss photographic paper.
Meet your tutors
Eva Polak’s journey into art photography began when she was given a camera one Christmas and she soon embarked on a passionate journey that was to change her life. After experimenting with different styles and genres she discovered that impressionist and abstract photography were her calling. She is an author of three books: Impressionist Photography Techniques - A Step-by-Step Guide to Creating Great Images by Using Your Digital Camera, Transcended Light, and The Secret Life of Dandelions, outlining ways to use your camera for painterly effect. Eva has had three solo exhibitions and has participated in a variety of group exhibitions. Her photographs are in private collections in New Zealand, Australia and Europe. As an educator, Eva has passed on her knowledge and experience to keen photographers through a variety of workshops. She is a popular judge at camera clubs in New Zealand. Eva’s knowledge of impressionist photography is widely acclaimed.
Aliah Jan is an award-winning photographer who lives out at Pollok, Awhitu Peninsula, where she runs the Creative Joy Studio. Her passion in story-telling through photography comes from 10 years’ experience in television broadcasting. She strongly believes that our stories need to be told, shared and passed on to the next generation. She teaches the art of storytelling by using today’s available technology, combining photography, music, sound or video and also through printed books. Aliah is a Fellow of the Photographic Society of New Zealand (FPSNZ) and serves as a national panel judge and a mentor for trainee judges for the society. She is also an Associate of the NZ Institute of Professional Photographers (ANZIPP) and an Associate to the International Federation of Photographic Art (FIAP).
WORKSHOPS WILL INCLUDE
- Eva will show you where to find inspiration and how to be creative all the time.
Awaken the Storyteller Within
- Add an extra dimension to your images by releasing your creativity and finding your artistic voice. Aliah will show you simple and easy ways how to tell visual stories with emotional impact.
SLOW SHUTTER ON THE BEACH
- Eva will guide you on taking painterly beach shots using a number of techniques that she has developed over the years.
Producing Audiovisual Presentation
- Aliah will guide you on creating compelling AVs, combining music and images to create powerful stories.
CREATIVE MACRO PHOTOGRAPHY
- Eva will teach you how to be creative with macro photography. Several in-camera techniques will be used to make your images look more like impressionist paintings than photographs.
Producing a Digital Book
- A hands-on session with Aliah and Eva Using your best images from the workshop, we will show you how to produce a book - ready to be published.